Friday, October 31, 2008

We are all equall in the park.

Today was rather beautiful day weather wise for October 31st in Pittsburgh the temperature got to around 63 degrees. I usually eat with friends at lunch however today I decided to eat my lunch today in a park across the street from where I work.

I enjoyed myself some lo-mien from the local Chinese place Hong Kong Express, they make some of the absolute best food at low prices for the city. I ordered my food and made my way to an empty table where I started to eat.

Since I was by myself that gave me a lot of time to think about things going on in my life, my co-workers lives, and the lives of people living in this country. It is so rare that we get time to ourselves without the many out-side influences capturing and manipulating our every thought so this lunch was a very spiritual refreshing time where I could just be me and think and feel the thoughts that are in my heart.

I noticed in the park many different people from all walks of life. I saw some students from the Art Institute walk by, I noticed how happy some of them looked and it made me reflect back upon that time in my life when things were more care free and simpler.

I watched a young lady pushing a baby stroller through the park and she didn't even look left or right just straight ahead as though she was late for some appointment. How Ironic I guess that baby in that stroller not a care in the world, just lying there, sleeping, feeling at complete peace and the Mother taking on all the worry and the hustle and bussle of every day life.

I saw business men walking through the park dressed in suits. They pretty much kept a professional demeanor and appeared to be talking business. I wondered if they truly knew how to cope without being able to work on something.

So there I am taking all of these events in the entire time enjoying my Lo-Mein. It struck me in that instant that in the Park we are all equal. It didn’t matter how much or lack of money people had, the color of there skin, whether it was a man or a woman, Adult or Child in that moment we were all equal.

This thought made me smile in that moment because at the core of humanity is love. Like the mother who was walking in that park had love for her child, we should have love for others around us and accept people for whom they are not whom we want them to be. This put me in a really philosophical mood and by this time I had moved on to eating my hot n Sour Soup. Let me say Hot n Sour soup is my favorite soup of all time, I’m not quite sure of all the ingredients that go into making it (Nor am I sure I want to know) but I do know it makes me feel good.

Now that I’m feeling good I started thinking of the big day coming up next Tuesday, Election Day. It made me thing of everything going on around me, the back and forth bickering amongst the candidates, and the people who support those candidates, in that instant I just chuckled. What an extreme waste of time, energy, and money we spend to these candidates who have as much in common with the everyday folk as I have in common with a Martian.

Now I'm not going to say anything bad about either candidate but the Hyprocacy of there words and actions to what they are trying to tell us reminds me that things are not going to change much at all.

When I was leaving the park I saw a sign in the park on the bricks, it was a Confucius saying A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. It had me think in that moment. I concluded that the first step of the Journey should start in that park, recognizing that we are all equal, we all have feelings, we all have hopes, dreams, desires.

The first step I’m going to take on my journey is to attempt not to judge people so quickly, I know at our core we all want to love and be loved and that journey begins with but a single step, a step each of us must choose to walk on our own.

3 comments:

  1. I want to make fun of you and say you are a waxing fool, but I'm not going to do that. Good job. You found your niche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Man, still putting it all together practice pratice

    ReplyDelete
  3. RICH I LIKE THE THOUGHT OF THE JOURNEY BEGINNING WITH FIRST STEP.AS I START MY JOURNEY I WILL THINK OF YOU.THANKS

    ReplyDelete